Pier Street Medical Centre (PSMC) was established in 1982. We have developed a reputation for taking the time to deliver quality medicine. We work as a team, to ensure that all all your healthcare needs are well looked after. We look forward to getting to know you and your families well!
Servicing the local community since 1982
PSMC was established in 1982 by Dr Larry Light. It started with just 2 doctors and 1 practice nurse, and has now grown to a large multidisciplinary practice with 7 Doctors, 2 practice nurses, a Psychologist, an Exercise Physiologist, a Dietitian, a Podiatrist and a Diabetes Educator.
Awarded RACGP Practice of the Year 2008
The Royal Australian College of GPs (RACGP) is the peak body that represents all practicing GPs in Australia. They are involved in training the next generation of GPs and set the exams for doctors to become fully-qualified GPs. This award cannot be awarded twice within a 10-year period.
Awarded National Primary Care Infrastructure Grant 2011
The grant helps PSMC become a clinic that could house more GPs, nurses and Allied health professionals. This also benefits the community, as we are able to provide new services to meet your health needs, with a focus on prevention and better chronic disease management.
Great management of diabetes according to 2013/2014 study
In 2013/14 PSMC participated in a national study comparing the management of diabetes at general practices throughout Australia. We were pleased to discover that our patients with diabetes were some of the best managed amongst all the general practice study participants.
PSMC has led the way in Preventative Care over the past 30 years with initiatives we have proudly instigated, many of which other practices have taken up.
Here are some reasons why:
- We were documented as one of the highest prescribers of Statins (cholesterol lowering agents) in Australia around 15 years ago.
- We started our own Breast Cancer screening with biennial mammography close to 30 ago, well before it became a recognised scientifically validated screening procedure.
- We started our own Bowel Cancer screening with faeces for occult blood (FOB’s) around 20yrs ago well before it became a recognised scientifically validated screening procedure. In 2008 when we last took out figures we had one of the highest uptakes of Insure FOB in Australia.
- We started using Peak Flow Metre (PFM) based Asthma Management plans in 1982 long before this was scientifically validated & published by the National Asthma Council. There was no NAC in those days.
- We have had a nurse on site since we opened in 1982. It is now common to have general practice nurses on site.